Copyright © Hapa Hopes
Design by Dzignine

November 9, 2014

Trickle Down Negativity

We had our first negative comment.

A good friend has been sharing the posts in our facebook group.  She herself has PCOS and her daughter is hard won.  She was actually the first peer I had who dealt with infertility and her story started before I even met J. She was the one who got the comment on one of our posts that she shared on her page.  Something along the lines of infertility treatment being selfish and people should adopt because of all the babies in America that need parents.

She deleted it.  She's awesome.

Before we entered the video contest, we had a long talk about what we would do if we actually became finalists.  We knew we'd have to go public if we wanted to win.  We were okay with that.  What we didn't think about were the awesome friends who would start ti feel comfortable sharing their stories.  They have been amazing to watch.  Or the friends like this one who have been supporting us by voting and sharing, but haven't gone public, and have to have insensitive people post crap that hurts them.

Of course I reached out to her and of course she was awesome... and shared another post on her page today.  Friends like this one are rare.  I just hope no one else has to deal with any bologna.  Why do so many people think they get to make public statements giving their uneducated opinions on how people choose to live their lives?

We're going to be on the local news tonight, telling our story.  The piece will go on their web page, where they have a comment section.  I'm going to have to not read that.

I know I'm annoying with the vote begging, but please remember to vote for us every day.  We're the ones with the Asian dude, white chick, and adorable baby.  This kind of money can be life changing for our little one.  We realize we've been so blessed already, but we have to make the most of an opportunity like this!

6 comments:

  1. That comment was almost definitely made by a woman who has never adopted and/or suffered through infertility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what T said. And will add that the person in question is likely bitter.

    Hope you guys win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you and your friend had to deal with someone else's ignorant comment. I saw the news piece. You and J both did awesome. And the Chipette, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When those things happen, I just nod for a moment and think, "I hope that person gets to experience exactly how this feels when someone says something thoughtless/cruel/hate-filled toward them." And then let it go. You can't control what others say; only how much you let in their words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really understand this idea that infertiles are responsible for adopting all of the children and "saving" them. If this person is so concerned, perhaps she should go out and adopt a few kids. You can't let comments like that get to you. There is always some uninformed person that's going to say something stupid.
    Good luck! I'll go vote for you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You won! And you're the most adorable family and now I'm crying.

    ReplyDelete